2012

Venturing forth on another expedition to Teachers College to further explore Readers Workshop.

2011

Back in the saddle again for Round 3. K and I are ready to add some shine to our Writers Workshop strategies this summer. Until we jump on the bandwagon Monday morning we are taking note of the metropolitan environs... and then some.

2010


After jumping in with both feet, teaching Readers and Writers Workshop in our classrooms for a year, K and I are back at Teachers College for Act II. We are attending Readers Workshop and will be filling the bill with more strategy focused morning and afternoon sessions. Until Monday, when the training gets underway, we are obligated to paint the town red, (or "read", as the case may be).

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Playing in the Big League

Two weeks at Teachers College was well worth it's weight in gold.  I feel like I learned more about teaching reading and writing, (specifically to 2nd graders), in these 10 days than I have in all my 21 years teaching, (well, I did walk in with a solid foundation to layer upon).  Reading and writing have been cut open and broken down into specific teaching strategies delivered in a structured, yet flexible manner, that provide continual active engagement and differentiated instruction.  I'm inspired to totally revamp my curriculum.  My 100 page notebook is filled with hot tips.  I'm really glad my Cotsen mentor/coach will be there to help me pull it all together! Get ready Y ;)


And then there were the after hours activities...  also exhilarating...  How much fun can you have in nyc for 2 weeks?!!



Small and large group topics: Non-fiction book intros, vocab, envisioning, monitoring for meaning.

Staff developer, reading and writing instruction author, coaching mentor extraordinaire, and the leader of my large group, 2nd grade section, Amanda Hartman.  I tried to rub off some of her talent.








The grand closing  was filled with readings, role-playing, poetry, and elucidations on what it means to be a reader.  It felt sad that it was over.






Back to the future...



































From the John Lennon Strawberry Fields
 memorial in Central Park

1 comment:

  1. What a great school year you and the kids are going to have! Lucky everyone!

    ReplyDelete