2012

Venturing forth on another expedition to Teachers College to further explore Readers Workshop.

2011

Back in the saddle again for Round 3. K and I are ready to add some shine to our Writers Workshop strategies this summer. Until we jump on the bandwagon Monday morning we are taking note of the metropolitan environs... and then some.

2010


After jumping in with both feet, teaching Readers and Writers Workshop in our classrooms for a year, K and I are back at Teachers College for Act II. We are attending Readers Workshop and will be filling the bill with more strategy focused morning and afternoon sessions. Until Monday, when the training gets underway, we are obligated to paint the town red, (or "read", as the case may be).

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Beat Goes On






Classroom with a view.







Small and large group topics: 
mini-lessons and Teaching Points 
conferencing and the Research-Decide-Teach structure, 
reading cueing systems -meaning, structural, visual, comprehension strategies

My closing session was Creating Communities of Practice Across K-2 Classrooms: Inquiry As a Way of Life

Quotes and summarizations:
"Inquiry" is academic jargon for wondering.  Support students to be life-long wonderers.  
The hard work comes in the musing, wondering is the easy part.  Stay with the wonderings instead of letting them vanish.




I had been waiting patiently for a second round of cannoli and capuccino and finally all of our ducks lined up to make the venture.  My mouth watered.















We continued on to have dinner at Lil' Frankie's then covered most of the rest of our downtown bases: Greenwich Village, West Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, East Village, back to Greenwich Village (A LOT of walking).









In Chinatown we were quietly and aggressively offered bootleg DVDs and knock-off Gucci and Prada bags.  At a fruit stand I stocked up on cherries, lychees, and blueberries that were also priced for the black market.  I hoped the fruit was real - it was.








I was ready to accept that I had had my final nyc cannoli and I was pleased with my memory of it, when, on the way back to the subway K needed to use the Ladies and, well, one decision lead to another, and there we were back in the cannoli shop.  Yes!  Still five cannoli left in the case!  We could get them to go!  And eat them tomorrow!  My mouth watered, again.  However, once they were carefully wrapped and bagged we spotted the New York style cheesecake and we knew that it wouldn't travel well...    











I became buds with my celeb du jour, the chef and owner of the cannoli shop.  He told us that his cafe was the oldest operating cafe in NYC.















A reminder not to let that cannoli sit around for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment