2012

Venturing forth on another expedition to Teachers College to further explore Readers Workshop.

2011

Back in the saddle again for Round 3. K and I are ready to add some shine to our Writers Workshop strategies this summer. Until we jump on the bandwagon Monday morning we are taking note of the metropolitan environs... and then some.

2010


After jumping in with both feet, teaching Readers and Writers Workshop in our classrooms for a year, K and I are back at Teachers College for Act II. We are attending Readers Workshop and will be filling the bill with more strategy focused morning and afternoon sessions. Until Monday, when the training gets underway, we are obligated to paint the town red, (or "read", as the case may be).

Monday, July 6, 2009

Bookworms Unite






Round two.  This week we are doing Reader's Workshop.  DR flew the coop yesterday.  And then there were three.
Clearly I have turned a corner in familiarity with the 'hood.   I was asked for directions three times today AND I could give them.  No one asked me for directions last week.  Thank goodness.
I've developing my nyc shtick:  I walk fast, I drink coffee for lunch, when it might rain I carry an umbrella and wear flip flops (quick drying), I know when it's okay to safely cross on a red, I text in hallways and read on the subway.  I still instinctively try to make eye contact when I pass someone on the street, but they're weaning me of it since no one responds in 
kind, (ask someone for help and that's another story - they're all over it).

The badges that afford me access to all the good stuff.














Keynote by Maurice Sykes, Exec. Dir. of Early Childhood Learning Institute at U of D.C.
He spoke of habits of mind, inconvenient truths, qualities necessary to be a good teacher and acts of courage.

Quotes and summarizations:
It's in the doing.  The essence of something is in the doing.  
You can't be burned out if you were never on fire.
Rekindle.
The 3 B's of speakers:
Be interesting.
Be brief.
Be seated.

The 3 I's of best audiences:
Intelligent
Inattentive
Intoxicated

Small group and large section focused on building your reading life, the Accountable Talk Read Aloud, Reading Workshop and balancing methods of instruction and The Rally Cry - getting students energy up, gathering enthusiasm.



Off to my gym.
It's just down the steps, where my fellow coeds are ambling out.










Catching up and getting down to brass tacks with S at dinner.

2 comments:

  1. How did you get access to a gym??? It just keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that....."You can't be burned out if you were never on fire."

    ReplyDelete