2012

Venturing forth on another expedition to Teachers College to further explore Readers Workshop.

2011

Back in the saddle again for Round 3. K and I are ready to add some shine to our Writers Workshop strategies this summer. Until we jump on the bandwagon Monday morning we are taking note of the metropolitan environs... and then some.

2010


After jumping in with both feet, teaching Readers and Writers Workshop in our classrooms for a year, K and I are back at Teachers College for Act II. We are attending Readers Workshop and will be filling the bill with more strategy focused morning and afternoon sessions. Until Monday, when the training gets underway, we are obligated to paint the town red, (or "read", as the case may be).

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stepping Out High and Dry

It is super hot here. And humid.




Christopher Paul Curtis, author of "Bud, Not Buddy and "The Watsons Go to Birmingham", started off the morning keynote spinning yarns.














Practiced writing prompts for non fiction read aloud teaching points.
Teacher Think Aloud: Sometimes when I'm reading, I realize that the author is telling me more that what it says on the page... (inferring)




An oft recited TC adage: "Teach the reader, not the text."



















Dropped in on General Grant to check out the actual tomb - though this historic site is only a couple blocks from Columbia, this is the first time the I've found the monument open.
Though the "ranger" on duty, (not exactly a Welcome Wagon type of guy), decisively, more like argumentatively, assured me that it has been open every day since 1997.

Check out the ceiling.



































My new running route. Home to many movie scenes, along the Hudson River.


















I was lured into this Chinese establishment based on a rave review I saw on a cooking channel on TV. I ordered said exceptional lamb dish. Our waiter proceeded to give a 2 minute disclaimer on the fact that this dish was "dry and fry. It has no sauce." I assured him that I was willing to take the risk in the name of research. He continued to explain that it has no sauce - "dry and fry." We asked if HE liked it. He said no. He said Chinese people don't like it. "Some Americans do though. But some are very upset when the order arrives because they don't believe me that it is dry and fry." It was dry and fry. Very unique.






The Library - in the name of books, of course!
Window shopping along 5th Ave after a late dinner. Fabulous plot twists on birding in the Bergdorf Goodman displays.




1 comment:

  1. Love the Hudson River running route photo! Looks perfect! Sorry about the heat...drink your water! xoxo S

    ReplyDelete