2012

Venturing forth on another expedition to Teachers College to further explore Readers Workshop.

2011

Back in the saddle again for Round 3. K and I are ready to add some shine to our Writers Workshop strategies this summer. Until we jump on the bandwagon Monday morning we are taking note of the metropolitan environs... and then some.

2010


After jumping in with both feet, teaching Readers and Writers Workshop in our classrooms for a year, K and I are back at Teachers College for Act II. We are attending Readers Workshop and will be filling the bill with more strategy focused morning and afternoon sessions. Until Monday, when the training gets underway, we are obligated to paint the town red, (or "read", as the case may be).

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Footloose and Fancy






The keynote speaker this morning was my girl, Kathy Collins. Yes, she is that good. She spun a highly entertaining yarn about the different lenses we need to view our students.

Quote of the Day: The opposite of play is not work, it is depression.

Morning session, with Kathy again, continued
the
discussion about how readers respond to non-fiction text and different avenues of questioning to lift the level of students responses.










At lunch I made the mistake of resampling the baklava at my secret-no-long-line iced coffee dispensary. My recollection was that it was on the dry side. No, this was not the baklava of yesteryear. My
sweet fang perked right up. Ahh... Now you see it, now you don't.
I DO SEE a new Wednesday, Thursday, Friday lunch tradition approaching...















Afternoon session centered around "Stop and Jot" cueing for accountable talk read alouds to further engage students in their understanding of
the text, rather than just getting them to reiterate something that was obvious or that they already knew. Also looked at the general progression of decoding and comprehension skills in leveled books.


In the evening we cashed in on Monday's "seize the moment" ticket purchase and saw Fela. It was an amazing, utterly unique show filled with afrobeat music and dance from start to finish.
















Later, in Times Square K, (in background), attempted to deflect Spiderman's wrist web away from innocent, small children.

Writing Disclaimer: I ofishlee apaulojeyes for the ferocious number of typos that I am catching post posting. I'm not making excuses or complaining but I've been doing most of the writing between 12:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m., long after my editor-self has closed up shop and hit the hay. But hey, whaddya gonna do, postpone the post or let it fly and have H-E double hockey sticks to pay in the morning? Let it fly!

2 comments:

  1. Mon Dieu, it doesn't sound like you've wasted ANY time sleeping. I loved the before and after shots of the baklava. What a beautiful job of recording and sharing your ultra-productive time in the city.
    love, mas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! I love the photos of your view, the hilarious bathroom photo with Matt, and the very interesting quotes by your teaching celebs. Glad to see you're enjoying your baklava - you KNOW how jealous I am of that! :) Oooo it's soooo good with coffee! Glad you're enjoying it all- What was it? Tourist,Adventurer, or Resident- I liked that one best. :)Thanks so much for sharing all!!
    love, S

    ReplyDelete